Astrid's review - Kresley Cole is like crack

Sweet Ruin (Immortals After Dark) - Kresley Cole
  ARC provided by Gallery Books via Netgally in exchange for an honest review.

4.5 Stars

16 books in the series and you want to think it should be boring. What might be true for some authors it isn't for this one. Kresley Cole has done it again and captured my heart. In this installment she introduces the Morior - the Vertas' opponents. We are also introduced to a bunch of new characters and if I'm not completely off I think I have spotted Nixie's HEA.

Our heroine in this one is Josephine. Or Jo. Or Josie - as called by our hero. She is like all of Kresley Cole's heroines strong with a great deal of sass and doesn't cower before our hero.

Then we have Rune. Or Ruin. In the beginning I thought more of him as Bastard. Or Manwhore. He is arrogant and cocky. He knows he has every right to be.

The story itself is about loss, loneliness and finding yourself. Josie had to give up her little brother Thaddeus, or Thaddie (we were introduced to him in Dreams of a Dark Warrier (IAD #11) to guarantee he has a good life. She watches over him from that day on but never approaches again.
Rune has been forced to be a male prostitute by a volatile, cruel queen in exchange for the life of his beloved mother. Ever since he has been using sex in exchange for information.

When our main characters meet Rune is in the process of shagging a nymph. Or three. Yet, Jo is drawn to him. Her loneliness is palpable throughout the story. You just have to root for her and her HEA. Her naiveté, her belief that Rune will come around tugs at your heartstrings. He however takes his bloody time to get his head out of his ass but when he does he goes all the way. I didn't fall in love with him for 75% of the book...I did like him but once I fell I fell hard.

One of my favorite scenes is when Nix shows up for the first time in this book - I squealed with delight when she had a show-down with Jo.

Kresley Cole's Immortal after Dark series is like crack. You crave the next one and it doesn't matter how many installments she writes - the quality stays the same. I can't wait to see how the Ascension plays out. This book defintely moved the story arc forward.