Justin's Season

Justin's Season - S.M. Sawyer

Beebs' Review

I'm not really sure where to start with this review, so I'm gonna just ramble on.

First things first, this is not a romance, if you're looking for some hot loving and a happy ever after, this is not the book for you. This is a story of redemption, one man's fight to right the wrong's of his past. Everything went to hell in a handbasket for Justin just when he was starting to question his sexuality and he's been hiding behind drugs and the bottle for the last 12 years. He wakes one morning, has an epiphany and starts setting about getting his life back on track. In the process, he meets Matt and is finally able to admit that he is gay and in love with another man. All of this is good, I am all for people sorting themselves out and building a better life for themselves.

Now for what I didn't like, it felt at times like I was sitting reading a very long sermon. Justin and everyone around him spend a lot of time praising the miracle that restored Justin to life. It felt very much like the good were rewarded and thebad were punished or given a chance at redemption. Matt's story felt very much like a punishment for perceived past sins and that did not sit well with me.

That said, the story was very well written and if you like inspirational books, you'll probably like this.

*ARC received from Nine Star Press in exchange for an honest review